Leeuwin Estate Art Series Tasting
If you have the opportunity at a tasting to either meet the winemaker or the founders of a winery, then I recommend going! Leeuwin Estate was one of the first wineries established in Margaret River and now sell 40% of their wines overseas, 20% at the winery, 20% to WA and I believe 20% to the Eastern States.
It was American winemaker Robert Mondavi who first realised the potential of the land back in 1972, after extensive research. At the time Leeuwin Estate was a cattle farm run by Denis and Tricia Horgan who manage the estate today. Robert Mondavi provided advice on the planning and establishment of a winery and there followed a nursery planted two years later in 1974 with first commercial vintage in 1979. After the Art Series Chardonnay won Decanter’s highest award in 1980 they haven’t looked back.
It was fantastic to meet Denis and daugher Simone and find out more about the wines and the winery.
- Leeuwin Art Series Riesling 2012 (RRP $23.50): Aromatic, blossom, crisp and refreshing acidity. Lovely concentrated passionfruit and lime on the palate – very much delivering at this price point.
- Leeuwin Prelude Chardonnay 2011 (RRP $36.66): Rich and full body, lovely viscosity on the palate with aromas of vanilla, toast, pineapple and melon.
- Leeuwin Art Series Chardonnay 2010 (RRP $105.95): Rich apple and melon on the nose with a slight perfumed note on the palate, melon and a delicacy to it.
- Leeuwin Art Series Chardonnay 2009 (97 points James Halliday)(RRP $105.95): More leaness to this compared to the 2010 yet there’s a richness to the wine. Subtle notes of pear and vanilla and citrus notes combine with a lovely refreshing acidity with a long finish.
- Leeuwin Art Series Chardonnay 2004 (96 points James Halliday) (RRP $144.65): Such a lovely richeness to it yet a freshness as well with delicacy, lively acidity, hints of toast with secondary notes and a long lingering finish.
- Leeuwin Art Series Shiraz 2009 (RRP $41.15): Supple tannins, very lively and high acidity coupled with blackberries and cherries with secondary aromas on the back palate.
- Leeuwin Art Series Shiraz 2007: Aromas of spice, cherries, raisins, dried strawberries and hint of leather abound on the nose followed by refreshing acidity on the palate and secondary fruits of nuts and fruitcake.
- Leeuwin Art Series Cabernet Sauvignon 2009 (RRP $76.95): Lovely Cabernet Sauvignon characteristics of pencil shavings, berries and dark chocolate which follow through on the palate with layers of fruit and spice, leather a refreshing acidity.
- Leeuwin Art Series Cabernet Sauvignon 2008 (RRP $76.95): The aromas on the nose are much more pronounced on the 08 compared to the 09. Wonderful spice, leather, subtle savour notes.
- Leeuwin Art Series Cabernet Sauvignon 2005: The age comes across on the nose here with predominantly secondary aromas with a richness on the palage. Chocolate, berries, liquorice, soft tannins; delicious!