Last year I attended the Swanbourne Cellars Annual Champagne Tasting. I recommend attending Champagne tastings as much as possible as it allows you taste across a wide range of Champagne while learning about the different styles in each one. Plus you are able to taste with other Champagne enthusiasts without breaking the bank!!
1. Jannison & Fils Brut NV RRP $59.99 – I found this had a slight minerality to it and with its refreshing acidiy, citrus and slight brioche notes went very well with the oysters that were on tasting.
2. Delamotte Brut NV RRP $89.99 – From the house of Salon, this is a step up. People say this is the little brother of Salon as such, it is high quality, with more savouryness and leasyness.
3. Perrier-Jouët Grand Brut NV $79.99 – On the nose it is obvious straigh away that there is more yeastyness in the glass. There is a delicate mousse to it with appleness and leasyness on the palate.
4. Louis Roederer Brut Premire NV RRP $89.99 – One of my favourite wines – rich with brioche and mineral notes accompanied by hints of apple. You won’t be disapppointed with this well respected Champagne house.
5. Marc Chauvet Brut NV RRP $79.99 – With over 2 years spent on lees and at least one year for non vintage wines, the yeast is pronounced on the nose but not over powering. High acidity with notes of apples and citrus flavours, there is lots going on in this glass.
6. Le Mesnil Blanc de Blanc Grand Cru Brut NV RRP $99.99 – This is taken from a Grand Cru vineyard and made with 100% Chardonnay. It is definitely a step up with lots of yeasty characteristics with layers of flavour and citrus aromas.There is a delicate and finesse to the wine.
7. Gosste Grand Blanc de Blanc NV RRP $145 – Very delicate with aromas of brioche and apples. Definitely a food wine because on its own you need a knife and fork!
8. Pol Roger 2000 RRP $120 – Made from one of the better vintages, there is a depth to it with nuttyness and hints of honey. Rich and full bodied, this is one to have for special occasions.
9. Laurent Perrier Cuvée Rosé Brut NV RRP $195 – This is a 100% Pinot Noir and having been left on the skins, it means there is rosé hue to the glass. Aromas of raspberries and brioche are noticeable on the nose with refreshing acidity and strawberries on the palate.